Nigerian-born chef David Olalekan Kamsonhas recently caused a huge stir on social media after news broke that his food trailer had been destroyed in a racially-aggravated attack.
David moved to Moston, Manchester four years ago with £70 to his name along with a dream of selling steak and chicken to a close-knit community.
His family told him he was mad when he was going to start his food business selling West African suya but he continued to follow his path, eventually becoming one of the hot spots for food in his local area.
David built his business up from scratch and was finally able to buy his own food trailer this year. It quickly became the go-to location for the finest West African cuisine, and soon adopted the regime of supplying free food to the homeless on Wednesdays.
Sadly, after being taunted with racist abuse for months, on Tuesday, David says he found out his food van had been stolen and torched.
“I came back from York on Monday night and walked past my trailer and it was still there,” David said.
“The next morning I went to the Post Office and the guys in there asked me what had happened to my trailer.
“They told me that it had been on fire and that it had burnt to the ground. When I saw it, cried for almost five hours.”
David posted pictures on his Instagram page, and showed the trailer completely destroyed. David’s trailer was stolen a few weeks ago, so he bought a lock and parked it in a car park on Albine Street, off Moston Lane.
Now a go-fund-me page has been set up by angry supporters of David, with the page already surpassing £30,000 worth of donations.
You can click here to donate and find out more about David’s truck.