News 17 November 2019

Experts think the Bolton block fire was made worse by Grenfell style cladding

17 November 2019

Two students were injured following a shocking inferno at a student accommodation building in Bolton. 

Friday night saw the outbreak of fire at the six-store building.

At least 40 fire crews were called to tackle the flames that crawled up a vicinity known as The Cube in Greater Manchester.

Much like the Grenfell fire, this one was also more detrimental due to the cladding used on the building.

Many took to social media to express their anger at the ongoing carelessness and continued use of the dangerous cladding. 

The blaze quickly worsened with students reporting that “The fire got worse and worse to the point where you could see through the beams. It was just bare frame.”

Others were in their rooms under the assumption it was a fire drill until they were alerted that it was in fact very real. Two people were treated at the scene for injuries with one being rescued via an aerial platform.

Despite the fire service first being called at 8:30pm, the fire was still active on Saturday morning.

Students were offered temporary accommodation and supplies however the President and Vice-Chancellor of the University of Bolton, Professor George E Holmes DL, has stated that the accommodation was actually owned by a private landlord as opposed to the university. 

Luckily there have been no fatal injuries reported but it will prove as a grave loss for many students as their belongings are unlikely to be salvaged.

The news of this fire has also again provoked the topic of negligent building planning for lower-earning citizens such as students and those of the working class.