Over a month after his passing, the cause of world-renowned Chicago rapper Juice WRLD has been confirmed.
On Wednesday, the Cook County Medical Examiner ruled that the young talent died of an accidental overdose of codeine and oxycodone.
Juice WRLD – whose legal name was Jarad Higgins – died on December 8th at Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn.
After experiencing cardiac arrest-like symptoms when he touched down at Chicago’s Midway Airport following a flight from Los Angeles, the star was rushed to the hospital. Shortly after stepping off the private jet, he passed away just day’s after celebrating his 21st birthday.
In the days following Juice WRLD’s death, fans and friends of the rapper packed Chicago’s Millennium Park to pay tribute to him.
Last month, his mother Carmella Wallace said that she hoped his death would help to raise awareness of addiction. Speaking candidly, she said: “Addiction knows no boundaries and its impact goes way beyond the person fighting it.
“Jarad was a son, brother, grandson, friend and so much more to so many people who wanted more than anything to see him defeat addiction.” She added: “We hope the conversations he started in his music and his legacy will help others win their battles as that is what he wanted more than anything.”