The World Boxing Council (WBC) has re-affirmed that the Fury Vs Wilder 3 winner must fight Dillian Whyte next – meaning if Tyson Fury wins, he won’t get to fight Anthony Joshua as soon as fans had anticipated.
After defeating Oscar Rivas last year, Whyte became the mandatory challenger for whoever needs to defend the world title after Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder’s third match-up.
Boxing fans had hoped the WBC would make an exception for a fight between The Gypsy King and AJ but the organisation has reaffirmed the winner of the trilogy between Fury and Wilder – taking place this December – must fight the mandatory challenger.
Speaking to Sky Sports, WBC chief Mauricio Suliaman said: “The WBC has reviewed every single weight category, considering the pandemic.
“We have had the flexibility with our champions and the WBC has approved Fury to fight by the end of the year, if it’s announced that it might be December 19, and the winner must make the mandatory defence early next year.
“When the [Fury-Wilder] fight takes place, we will order the pre-negotiations, so it’s a process that the promoters negotiate the fight and a date.
“It makes no sense to speculate on a date, but it’s going to be early next year when they are able to negotiate, or it goes to a purse bid.”
Promoter Eddie Hearn has also said Whyte takes priority over Joshua.
“Dillian takes priority,” Hearn said to Sky Sports. “Dillian has to have that fight by the end of February, and if it goes into March, it goes into March.
“Anthony Joshua is boxing in December. He won’t be ready to box again until June-July.
“Everybody acknowledges that’s the mandatory and that it’s next.”