News 18 June 2021
  views
Author: Courtney W

Notting Hill Carnival Officially Cancelled For Second Year In A Row

18 June 2021
  views
Share
Share

2021 Notting Hill Carnival has been axed for the second year in a row due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The news was announced by organisers in an official statement this morning (June 18) where it was said the festival will “not be on the streets due to the ongoing uncertainty and risk COVID-19 poses.”

The decision to not hold carnival on the streets was made after considering the uncertainty and the short time for carnivalists to prepare, leading organisers to “refocus [their] efforts for 2021.”

News of 2021 Notting Hill Carnival’s cancellation comes after the event was axed last year for the first time in its 54-year history due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Instead, a virtual event dubbed Notting Hill Carnival: Access All Areas was held where people were given the chance to celebrate the festivities from their homes.

Organisers have said they are working towards “alternate events” that will allow people to celebrate from home once again this year, with details to follow in due course.

[Image by Bikeworldtravel via Shutterstock]